Gallery

Thursday, 11 May 2017

Recycling: Catalognes

A friend took pity on me and cut my immense stash of badly printed fabrics, accumulated for nearly 20 years (I have had a fabric store) into 1/2" strips.
Our supervisor Zouleïka is seen here completely overworked:
My job was to sew the strips together and roll them into balls:
just a small part!
Then this friend wove them into blankets, called catalogne here. We are lucky to have a "Cercle de Fermières" where 8 looms are available. Volunteers mount the wefts and teach any member who wants to learn.
This catalogne was woven from fabric shown in the above picture right, with two passes of yarn every couple of inches:
 The violet one is made from the balls in the center of the above photo:
 A combination of the first two blankets:
 And the last one is a souvenir catalogne, woven from my friend's mother's sheets:



2 comments: